Re: elected officials on the air ...

In a message dated 1/4/00 12:31:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
lawyer@world.std.com writes:

<< Well, there used to be a "fairness doctrine" by which the FCC required
 equal time to all candidates.  I don't quite remember when it was
 abolished, but it was.  >>

Counsel, are you sure about this? I somehow remember there being some rules
on the books still about equal access to the media in campaigns -- whether
that is monitored on a state-to-state basis or by the FEC, I am not sure. (I
would think that it would be something which might possibly be controlled at
the local level, but I am not sure.)

Admittedly I have not heard Jim Braude doing anything resembling campaigning
on the air, and he could be the nicest guy in the world for all I know; I
just think that putting the guy on the air daily for three hours in an
issues-oriented show like he has with Egan (of course, a lot of the issues
discussed are fluff) opens what I think is an unwelcome can of worms.

-Sean