Re: Old WNAC Slogan

I'm not writing this through my usual E-Mail server. To respond, reply
to:
<notquite@hotmail.com>. Thanks!

A few years ago, I went to the Boston Public Library and photocopied,
off microfilmed pages of old issues of the Boston Globe, old Boston
radio and TV listings from various eras.

A 1959 radio page has WNAC in most time periods running news, then
"Radiant Radio". In 1956 and 1957, it had been identified as "Easy
Listenin'".

Thus, WNAC was using that as a slogan in mid-1959.

One other note: I was surprised to learn that apparantly, WNAC had a
short-lived run as a top-40 station around 1960. I had thought that the
680 frequency didn't go top-40 until WNAC became WRKO in 1967, but I had
also thought that RKO General had CONSIDERED changing WNAC to top-40 in
1960 and again in 1965 (the latter right on the heels of KHJ's instant
success).

Joseph Gallant
Reply o: <notquite@hotmail.com>