Re: saying thank you

In a message dated 12/27/99 3:07:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dlh@donnahalper.com writes:

<< have you worked for an excellent owner, or did you have
 a mentor who took a special interest in you in your early days of radio? >>

of course there's a warm spot for the pd who gave me my first gig, Tom Watson
back in 1979 at WCSH in Portland.

The "mentor" tag would go to a peer who was light-years ahead in talent
molding, Cary Pahigian.  He knew that he was in the position to help shape
and direct radio personalities, and had a great ear.  his one unique ability
was to focus on a "small item" (in my case, working out the New England
"dubba-ya" into a "double-u").  he felt that by working to correct a minor
flaw, the big pieces would, and did, fall into place.  he did a good enough
job that in less than a year and a half as a full-timer in Portland at WGAN
that i was able to slide into WHDH.

As for an owner, the extremely level-headed Dick Lutsk was a gem of a general
manager/owner.  (he was a v.p. in Gold Coast Broadcasting- WIDE/WYJY
Biddeford, Maine and WEMJ, Laconia).  he was given autonomy to run the
Biddeford property for the McCann family, and did a heck of a job.  plus, he
gave my first shot at programming, for which i think i should be truly
greatful <g>.

And it's been my honor to work with "legends", and to be able to learn from
them along the way.  Jess Cain, Tom Kennedy, Dave Maynard, Bruce Stevens,
Nick Seneca, Don Huff and the amazing Harry "Bud" Nelson.  My current
co-workers are simply the best at what they do, and make it seem effortless:
Loren&Wally, Jimmy Roberts, J.J.Wright and Dan Justin, all of whom i enjoyed
as a fan long before i had the opportunity to work with them.

- -Chuck Igo