Re: person of the decade, anyone?

>Chuck wrote--

> From a regional or local standpoint, one might think, from a radio vantage,
>of someone who was into the business closer to its primary inception as a
>live, wireless, entertainment format.  Locally:  Jess Cain-- when he started,
>  he needed to play his own music (on
>piano), sing, and give the time and temp.  it was a visual medium that
>produced mind pictures.

If we are going back a little bit, I would have to nominate Arnie Ginsburg
for the same reason-- he was for me the king of the top 40 d.j.'s.  He had
fun on the radio, wasn't ashamed to make a mistake, and could laugh at
himself.  He didn't change his name to something "non-ethnic", and even
though he had a high squeaky voice in an era of big deep voices, he won you
over with his sincerity and his willingness to do crazy things or use crazy
sound effects.  Of course, Jess Cain is a legend.  So were Bob and Ray and
Bruce Bradley gets my vote anytime.  That is the biggest change in radio in
the 90s-- so many stations voice-tracking, and so few "personality"
announcers.  Telling dirty jokes or insulting groups you don't happen to
like doesn't necessarily make you a personality...  while there are still
some talented announcers out there, I hear fewer and fewer, and THAT is
what I miss-- when I was a kid, I looked forward to listening to Arnie or
to Bruce because you never knew what they would do next, yet they were
never cruel or vicious.  Bruce had some biting sarcasm, but whether it was
just a different era or not, the personality announcers of the 60s and 70s
still tried to be your friend... I don't feel befriended by most of the
announcers I hear on the music stations...