Re: Why don't more stations webcast? (Was Re: web-WHRB in today'sGlobe)

Many ISP's provide streaming capabilities - so the station doesn't need
much bandwidth, and the cost is far less, since the expensive server-end
software is shared among many parties. My ISP does this with quite a few
AM stations in Pennsylvania (plus FM and TV). The encoder goes at the
station (if it's too far away for a good signal at the ISP facility) and
that single stream is all the bandwidth necessary at the station.

Heck, I've done live web-casting from rave events using just a dial-up
connection, and the 20.7Kbps G2 stream sounds great! Often, listening to
your favorite AM station over the web comes in with better fidelity than
over the air - so long as they pull it from the board...

Best Regards,

Peter Murray
Partner Communications Group, Inc.
P. O. Box 22225