Re: Why don't more stations webcast? (Was Re: web-WHRB in today's Globe)

U'mmm the cost? Unless someone like broadcast.com is interested in you there is
some significant cost to be able to come up with the bandwidth to have more than
just a few people listen to you at a time.
Check out:
http://www.realnetworks.com/products/servers/sysreqs.html?src=broadcast
To have enough bandwidth for 2000 listeners you need a T3.

Some other options can be found at:
http://www.realnetworks.com/broadcast/index.html

Small AM's don't have the budgets to spend in an area that doesn't really make
them any direct revenue.
 Actually I don't even know a large radio station that is willing to pay much of
anything on their web exposure. Most if not all have free or trade deals with
ISP's and as soon as their is any friction they jump to another that is willing
to give them a sweetheart deal.
So unless someone comes along that wants help smaller stations get exposure I
don't really think streaming audio is going to happen.