Re: CBS Fires Sean McDonough

In a message dated 12/11/99 5:46:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Sptseditor@aol.com writes:

<< Gary Thorne, who you are referring to (I'm sure you also know his story
 Kevin), started out as a lawyer who had fun announcing sporting events,
ended
 up broadcasting the Triple-A (?) Maine Phillies in the 1980s, and ended up
 getting work at ESPN. Who says a dream can't come true? >>

Gary was a known voice in Maine from his work with the UMaine teams, plus the
Old Orchard Beach baseball farm team (Guides {cleveland} then Phillies).
Then off to the Mets (i shudder when typing that word.)  nice man.  even had
the chance to tech him on a sports-drink spot.
Keeping Sean around would be great.   Like Gary (and even Dale Arnold), Sean
is able to sound comfortable at whatever he is doing, and bring the story to
us smoothly.
I agree with Kevin on the previous comments about the professionalism of Mr.
McDonough.  He'll do the game, and leave them (CBS) wondering why they let
another one get away.
And speaking of the dreams coming true:  keep on living yours, Sean.  it's
nice to see the hometown kids do well.

- -Chuck Igo