Re: Controversy over time compression in New York

At 08:54 PM 12/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
>The New York Post is doing a series of articles this week on the controversial
>Prime Image CASH digital time compression device which is a sort of Eventide
>Harmonizer for live radio, creating more commercial minutes per hour for talk
>shows like Rush or Dr. Laura and the like by eliminating pauses and other gaps
>between words without affecting pitch.  ...

Hi Chris,
Back in the early 70's, some university professors were using time
compression technology to make audio tapes of their lectures. This allowed
students who missed class, or had special needs, could stay up with the
course. A typical one hour class, which in reality is 50 minutes to start
with, could be reduced to 20 minutes or so, depending on the amount of Q&A
in the classroom, when reviewing.  This element was also included, as part
of a pilot program for a Classroom2000 technology project I worked on,
almost 25 years ago!  As a side note, when it comes to the common use of
technology in the classrooms across the nation, the old rule of thumb was
that it took about 40 years from development to implementation due to
costs.  My school's only technology was a 16mm film and  a number of
overhead projectors, in the early 70s. Throw in a few tape recorders and
that was that.  TV's and VCRs didn't make an appearance until the 80s. The
computer process is still evolving. :(
Pete