Re: veto power?

And DVB uses OFDM (orthogonal frequency-division
multiplexing) as its modulation scheme vs 8-VSB (eight-
level vestigial sideband modulation), which is the ATSC
standard. Allegedly, OFDM makes DVB far more immune than
ATSC to the effects of multipath.

Sinclair Broadcasting had intended to petition the FCC
to allow OFDM as an alternate modulation scheme to 8-VSB
but withdrew or never filed its petition after two IC
companies claimed to have developed decoder ICs that
overcome 8-VSB's inherent limitations.

Nevertheless, nobody can say that the over-the-air
testing of 8-VSB didn't make some truly optimistic
assumptions. The truck that was used for reception
testing placed the receiving antenna atop a 40' mast.
How many homeowners (let alone apartment dwellers) will
put their TV antennas on a 40' mast? So how can anyone
say with a straight face that the over-the-air tests of
ATSC represented real-world conditions?

As for the claims of the two IC companies, I've heard of
no exhaustive testing that demonstrates the truth of
their claims, and I can't help believing that the claims
are tinged with the same sort of wishful thinking as
those of IBOC DAB (in-band, on-channel digital-audio
broadcasting) advocates.