"Because I like you...." (was: How you can afford to work in radio)

> sign me:  glad to be on this side of the speakers...>
> - -Chuck Igo

Maybe been a couple of years since, but wasn't there a good string
here on how sales (AND non-sales) radio types would sell if need be,
such as, "You've got a friend with a small, local biz, and s/he's
thinking local radio time.  What do you tell the friend?"  ("Run for
your life!  Mothers, stop you nursing!  It's the blimp, Frank!" can't
be one of them, at least for this exercise!)

I once counseled a friend to buy on a local station (winter mos.) to
fly spots during blizzard reports, also to sponsor wx.  Sx
sponsorships during HS football season and to get on the local game
billboard.  He actually got some results (and not just from family
members.)  Oh, and I begged him NOT to put his phone number in the
copy (URLs were not an option yet).  My advise was, "ROS? We don't
need no stinkin' ROS."  Better to kick in a little on the rate to get
it as Mom kicks Johnny onto the yellow bus or junior next door is
running the ball to the endzone.

Bill O'Neill

PS.  A safe and happy Thanksgiving, all.