Fwd: Re: W-H-RB on the Internet

> On 17 Nov 99,  Mike Thomas wrote:

  Oh, and one more thing,
> > your one man crusade to take pot shots at WCRB at every opportunity is
> > getting old.  If you lived in most of the other markets around the country
> > that have NO full time classical station, and you didn't have a computer,
> > you'd wish you had a WCRB to listen to.  The "nose in the air" thing
> > really is not becoming.  Lighten up.
>
> Actually, I've been taking pot shots at WCRB for a lot longer than
> Lawrence has.  I get quite annoyed with their penchant for playing a few
> pieces over and over until I get tired of them.
>
> On the other hand, I also often find WHRB's selections unlistenable.  An
> hour of Gregorian chants is even more boring than WCRB.  With Gregorian
> chants, it sounds as though they're playing the same thing over and over,
> even when they're not.
>  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
>  15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
>  Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/

Although I have great difficulty receiving W-H-RB at
home, I have a push-button for 95.3 in my car.  My
observation of their classical music programming in
drive time is that it is 35 to 40 percent twentieth
century, another 35 to 40 percent nineteenth but off
the beaten path and 20 percent classic period back to
Renaissance.  Renaissance music like Palestrina or
Orlando di Lassus SOUNDS like gregorian chant but
isn't; there was a fad for a couple of years of
people buying G.C. "to relax" but I think it has
died down since then.  A purring cat is better IMHO.
But the glory of 95.3 is: you punch in that station
during the jazz and classical blocks, and you never
hear the same piece twice!  That's how you grow
in your appreciation of good music rather than
become deadened to it.

Laurence from Methuen

Get free personalized email at http://email.lycos.com