Mw Propagation (Was: No Subject)

Kyle Stephanos wrote,

> Hello. I enjoyed a drive from Boston to Georgetown Wednesday night
> while listening to all the local AM's in night pattern like it was
> daytime. WHAV 1490 from Haverhill was coming in very listenable in
> Peabody, Danvers! WNSH was listenable all through Route 1 from Saugus
> up through Georgetown. Many other examples like 830 from Worcester,
> 1150 coming in at night in Topsfield etc.. The only skywave signals
> that came in was just a little of WTOP, a very faint WQEW and WHAM,
> and no 1010 WINS at all.  There has been many substantial M-Class
> solar flares that has effected the radio spectrum below 2MHz. See
> this link:
>
> http://www.dxlc.com/solar/
>
> This was their Forecast pasted below:
>
> Forecast
> The geomagnetic field is expected to be quiet to unsettled on
> November 18.  CME impacts are possible on November 19 and 20 and could
> cause active to major storm conditions. Low frequency (below 2 MHz)
> radio wave propagation along east-west paths over high and upper middle
> latitudes is generally fair to poor.

Yup, between the flares and geomagnetic activity, the AM band is going
to be fickle at best.   P=(
See the "MW Skywave" section of my "Propagation 101" post, back in May:

http://bostonradio.org/cgi-bin/mfs/home/www/data/boston-radio-interest?link=http://www.bostonradio.org/boston-radio-interest/v03.n396&file=/usr/local/www/data/boston-radio-interest/v03.n396&line=185#mfs

Last night (Tue) was absolutely dead, but when I checked when I got up
this morning around 2am, the whole band seemed back up to at least the
low side of "normal", so things must have improved over the last few
hours.   P=)

     ~Kaimbridge~