Re: "all-girl" radio

On 30 Oct 99,  DonKelley@aol.com wrote:

> Anyway...she was a teacher there in the early 40's, then she got married.
> And had to quit.  Department Policy.  If you're a woman and you got
> married, you must be planning to get pregnant.  Therefore we must replace
> you.  It was a Boston School Department policy.  Really.   Sometime in the
> 60's they relented and changed the policy, so my mother went back to the
> Burke and attempted to teach Valerie Holliday ans Donna Summer.

I remember that policy.  I remember, when we lived in Allston, there was a
particularly good 3rd grade teacher that I was looking forward to getting.
But she left, and my mother explained that it was because a married woman
could not get tenure and could only work on a temporary basis.  As a
result, the school system was populated by a high number of Miss Grundys.
And this during a period when there was an acute teacher shortage!

I had gathered that the school system had finally changed, but I didn't
know when.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/