Re: Portland Phoenix

--- Roger Kirk <rogerkirk@mail.ttlc.net> wrote:

> Sorry, but Salem is really just part of Greater
> Lawrence without the Sales Tax.

Yes, unfortunately you are right.  I live in Salem,
and as far as media goes, most people are unaware
that most NH media (both print and broadcast) even
exist.  People in Salem will complain that the
weather forecast from Boston is nnot accurate for
Salem, but if you suggest that they should listen to
a NH radio station or read a NH newspaper, they will
act like you are nuts.  I've even heard of people
going to vote in Salem and nearby places in southern
NH and wondering why the MA candidates were not on
the ballot.

The area is really dominated by Boston TV and radio,
and newspaper wise by the two Boston papers and the
Eagle-Tribune.  While the NH edition of the Trib has
become better in terms of NH coverage (and the new
alliance with WMUR may help in this regard), it
still has a long way to go before residents of Salem
and the area become more aware of NH issues.

In terms of the Trib (a.k.a. Eagle-Tribune), they
always have been good in terms of covering community
issues in the communities that they cover in the NH
edition, it's the coverage of statewide issues and
news that has always been lacking.

=====
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH