Re: 1060-1230

Don't bet on them tilting to the left. WRPT and WSRO have leaned decidedly
to the right--starting at sign-on with Jim Paleologas from TalkAmerica, Doug
Stephan from RadioAmerica, and G Gordon Liddy  from Westwood One. Not only
is such programming much more plentiful than liberal talk, I suspect that it
mirrors the views of the station owner, Mr Langer. As for Jerry Williams, he
may have been a liberal 30 years ago, but he moved pretty far right over the
years.

Unless and until the high power goes on the air, the Boston studio would be
a joke. And even if 1060 actually builds the high power, gets it on the air,
and overcomes all of the inevitable objections from Infinity (WBZ and KYW),
the signal in downtown Boston still won't be great; it'll be listenable, but
it won't be much stronger than WRCA. Because the dial position is so close
to WBZ,1060 has to be much more of a west-suburban signal than a Boston
signal.

And then, don't forget that 1060 will be a daytimer. Even if they get a
nighttime authorization, the station won't be listenable outside of
Natick-Framingham until after sunrise and will disappear at sunset. With
apologies to the late Norm Nathan, mid-November is what you mitght call your
perfect time to start a talk format on a suburban daytimer that aspires to
be a Boston station <g>. November sunset is at 4:30 around here. In
December, sunset is at 4:15. As a daytimer outside the protected skywave
contour of the dominant co-channel station, 1060 can stay on for another
half hour or so--until sunset in Philadelphia, but once the sun sets here,
the power will have to be reduced significantly.

This venture has all the earmarks of another radio fiasco. I wonder whether
a return to brokered religion or another ethnic signal will be next for
1060. Maybe the next format will be financial talk--or health/motivational
talk. It seems as though the supply of advertisers who produce infomercials
about herbal remedies for everything under the sun is inexhaustible.