Re: Tropo (is it still going on?)

Roy L. writes:

> BTW..why does WROR sound so over processed? I noticed
> a lot of compression and excessive clipping! Is new
> processing in the works? They always sounded so good.

Writers on this list talk occasionally about the "compression",
"clipping", and other processing applied by radio stations to their
audio, but all that talk goes over my head, and probably that of other
readers not versed in audio technology.

Would somebody consider giving a little explanation of what these
techniques are and what effects they have?   It would be especially
nice to find out how an attentive listener would be able to recognize
them.

Thanks for any explanations you can offer--
--RC