Re: Traffic

On 6 Oct 99,  hopfgapr@sprynet.com wrote:

> Actually, the Feds simply did not want breaks in the two-digit highway
> system. (Someone from Iowa or some such going up I-95 from RI would get to
> Canton and see no sigh for I-95 North anywhere, and unless they were a
> ggod map reader would likely not be aware that I-95 begins again in
> Peabody).

That's fine for the Interstate numbers, and I have no quarrel with that.
It's not unusual for one road to have more than one route number, so it
doesn't bother me that most of Route 128 is I-95.  What bothers me is that
the state route 128 had to be changed.  I don't see why Massachusetts
Route 128 couldn't encompass parts of I-95 and I-93.  Nor do I see any
good reason why the Route 128 signs are often hidden or de-emphasized, so
that locals who are used to looking for Route 128 interchanges can only
find I-95 interchanges.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/