Re: WSJZ

I think there are a few of reasons why Greater Media has rushed this format on the air.  First, the broadcast community in this town in very tight, and if the talk rumors persisted as long as, say, WNEW-FM's in NYC did, it would give WRKO a chance to react, particularly since 96.9 is not going in a hot-talk direction.  Secondly, they had to get Imus on the air right away, which was going to kill whatever station's format he wound up on anyway.  Finally, there have been some rumors floating around that WBCN may flip to a hot-talk format like WNEW-FM and other Infinity FM's in LA, Detroit and DC.  GM may have wanted to beat them to the punch and be the city's first FM talker.

As far as the jazz is concerned, why not leave it on in the interim?  I'm sure they have many listeners who tune in in the evenings to unwind after work or for a night of romance.  To these people, they probably haven't noticed any change. :)  Many FM talkers have difficulty filling fringe shifts with quality programming, particularly overnights and weekends, and a music format is often employed during these times.  Why not leave the jazz on?  It can't hurt anything and besides, most of the billing will be generated between 5:30a-10a Monday through Friday anyway, at least for the forseeable future.

Mike Thomas
WXLO & Mediabase 24/7