Re: wrong call letters

It's actually worse than that because if they called Jordan Marsh the store
would probably still get the business.  With wrong calls, the station may not
get credit in the all important ratings.  I'm still amazed how some stations
allow jocks to be sloppy about giving the calls.  Ryan Cody at WABK sometimes
does a whole break without giving any kind of positioner and the guys been in
radio for 20+ years.  I don't get it.  Lesson 1 in Radio 101 is say the calls.

I have been fortunate to never give the wrong call letters despite having
worked at a couple dozen stations.  I think the reason is that in my third
radio job, I would sit down every night and in succession record the
overnight weather for KISS 100, WLAM, and WJBQ.  After getting that trick
down, I have rarely had a problem.  I came close to giving the wrong calls a
few times at WMGX.  Certain songs that I had played during my WCLZ days would
cause my mind to lock up momentarily but by the time I cracked the mike the
right calls would come out.

Has anyone ever given the wrong name?  I imagine it's tough if you use a
phony name on the air.  Earlier this year, a part-timer at Oldies 100.9
called herself Diana Ross a couple of times.  She couldn't get used to the
phony name they gave her and would get confused when frontselling songs.
Very funny.

- -- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine