Re: Have you heard more about this???

Donna wrote:
>>a friend of mine from Chicago wrote--
>>I just heard Viacom is BUYING CBS.  For a 70+ CEO, Sumner Redstone  is
>>sure going strong.
>Would Mel the Billionaire sell CBS?  And how would that affect the Boston
>market radio and TV wars?

'Tis true; it was all over the news this morning, though those with their
ears glued to 96.9 this AM might not have heard it... :-)  The press
release can be found at http://www.prnewswire.com/ (search from there).

Not sure what effect it'll have here... depends on if the FCC and/or the
antitrust arm of the Justice Dept. has an issue with TV channels 4 and 38
being owned by the same company or not.  Radio-wise, probably business
as usual...

Don't forget, Mel's been "acquired" before, when CBS/Westinghouse acquired
Infinity... according to the press release, he'll be president and COO
of the new Viacom, and no doubt in a good position to inherit the chairman/
CEO position when Redstone finally retires.

- -Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu