Re: WMEX Memories

Wasn't Larry (Lawrence Raymond) Welch (AKA The Voice of
the Turtle) on WMEX in AM drive around then? Or was he
on a different station--WORL maybe?

Welch was very talented but had a serious drinking
problem (which I believe eventually killed him). I think
he came to Boston from WKBS in Oyster Bay NY (now WTHE
Mineola).

>So I was going through some old Variety clippings, and found one
from July
>of 1958.  It mentioned that WMEX, "Color Radio", had just introduced
"The
>Beachcomber", who goes around to Boston-area beaches seeking out
people who
>are listening to WMEX on their portable radio-- winners receive free

>records... And Variety listed an airstaff that was interesting--
 for one
>thing, it announced the arrival of Donn Parker from Freeport New
York, who
>would be on the air as "The New Boy In Town" (now, I recall a later
"house
>name" of "The Jones Boy" which used the Mills Brothers' 78-era song
"The
>whole town's talking about the Jones boy", but I do not recall Donn
Parker
>using "the new boy in town"-- that couldn't have been a WMEX house

>name...).  Other airstaff were Larry Logan (who?) doing morning drive,
and
>also on the air was Dan Donovan (now THAT was a house name) and Mel
Miller.