Re: Cellphone talk numbers

- --============_-1277228389==_ma============

Whew.... Lot's of chats, here does:

*1 is a grandfathered ruling for SmarTraveler. The CTIA (Cellular
Telephone Industry Association) decided a couple of years ago to use
three digit numbers, and that * numbers were for paying (i.e. radio
stations) clients, and # numbers were for services (like AAA, and
SmarTraveler). This is why we use #211 in DC, Philadelphia and
Minneapolis/St. Paul.

WBZ had been doing *1030 with CellOne for years. It's still set up,
but they don't get all over it because the deal between 'BZ and
CellOne soured. See unlike SmarTraveler, CellOne went along with
giving WBZ the service in exchnage for the promotion they get when
the announcer says "call us on your CellOne phone". But since CellOne
wasn't getting what they agreed to or what they wanted, 'BZ simply
stopped having people beat all over the name. But the lines are still
there. Not sure how they pay for it (or who pays for that matter). It
won't work on anything besides a CellOne Phone....

Now Here's why, and an ansewer to the other questions about SmarTraveler.

In fact, the abreviated dialing code goes no where but to the phone
switch. The Cell phone company translates it to a 7 digit number (or
11 depending on where the switch is) and sends it along as a land
line call. So when someone dials *1 on a phone where we have a
translation agreement, it translates the number into a specific
number in our hunt group and forwards the call there. We can assign
whatever capabilities or special messages we want to that specific
caller type (From whatever cell phone company, or whatever). We can
do targeted marketing this way too (nudge nudge for all you
advertisers out there).

If you have Nextel, we don't have an agreement with them yet, so *1
doesn't go anywhere... Same with 'BZ and Bell Atlantic, or anyone
besides CellOne, since Cellone is the only one who translates *1030
into a 7 digit number (which BTW rings at SmartRoutes' Ops Center,
since we provide the traffic info for Shadow Traffic). No deal with
the other guys, no call goes through.

One more comment about the comment about the turnpike. SmartRoute
Systems has an agreement with Shadow Broadcasting to provide them
with Traffic information. We are their data gathering network. We
have agreements in place with the State Police and other agencies....
but the Pike has always been a bit tougher, it's their structure....
everything out of the Weston barracks. But my understanding is that
it's almost entirely dispatcher dependent. Make no mistake about it,
if there's info out there, we'll find it.

And yes, you're reading the hierarchy right. SmartRoute Systems
provides info to Shadow, Shadow broadcasts the reports for WBZ....

At 7:02 PM +0000 8/16/99, Bill Dunn wrote:
>Maybe someone at SmartRoutes (Eli?, Peter?, or David?) could jump in an
>provide a full answer.  The Mass Highway Dept and I thought federal funds
>provided for the *1 or 617-374-1234 Service to the motoring public.
>
>Bill Dunn
>
>Official Scanner Guide            East Coast Paging & Wireless Systems
>1-603-432-1285                    1-781-461-9969
>
>Communications Officer            SmarTraveler Traffic Tracker-92
>Metro Boston DMAT  MA-1           Mass EMT-B 831884

- -Eli
- --============_-1277228389==_ma============

(Cellular Telephone Industry Association) decided a couple of years
ago to use three digit numbers, and that * numbers were for paying
(i.e. radio stations) clients, and # numbers were for services (like
AAA, and SmarTraveler). This is why we use #211 in DC, Philadelphia
and Minneapolis/St. Paul.</div>
set up, but they don't get all over it because the deal between
'BZ and CellOne soured. See unlike SmarTraveler, CellOne went along
with giving WBZ the service in exchnage for the promotion they get
when the announcer says "call us on your CellOne phone". But
since CellOne wasn't getting what they agreed to or what they
wanted, 'BZ simply stopped having people beat all over the name.
But the lines are still there. Not sure how they pay for it (or who
pays for that matter). It won't work on anything besides a CellOne
Phone....</div>
SmarTraveler.</div>
phone switch. The Cell phone company translates it to a 7 digit
number (or 11 depending on where the switch is) and sends it along as
a land line call. So when someone dials *1 on a phone where we have a
translation agreement, it translates the number into a <i>specific
number</i> in our hunt group and forwards the call there. We can
assign whatever capabilities or special messages we want to that
specific caller type (From whatever cell phone company, or whatever).
We can do targeted marketing this way too (nudge nudge for all you
advertisers out there).</div>
so *1 doesn't go anywhere... Same with 'BZ and Bell Atlantic, or
anyone besides CellOne, since Cellone is the only one who translates
*1030 into a 7 digit number (which BTW rings at SmartRoutes' Ops
Center, since we provide the traffic info for Shadow Traffic). No
deal with the other guys, no call goes through.</div>
SmartRoute Systems has an agreement with Shadow Broadcasting to
provide them with Traffic information. We are their data gathering
network. We have agreements in place with the State Police and other
agencies.... but the Pike has always been a bit tougher, it's their
structure.... everything out of the Weston barracks. But my
understanding is that it's almost entirely dispatcher dependent.
Make no mistake about it, if there's info out there, we'll find
it.</div>
Systems provides info to Shadow, Shadow broadcasts the reports for
WBZ.... </div>
Peter?, or David?) could jump in an<br>
provide a full answer.&nbsp; The Mass Highway Dept and I thought
federal funds<br>
provided for the *1 or 617-374-1234 Service to the motoring
public.<br>
Bill Dunn<br>
Official Scanner
Guide&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
1-603-432-1285&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
1-781-461-9969<br>
Communications
Officer&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
Metro Boston DMAT&nbsp;
MA-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Mass
EMT-B 831884<br>
- -----Original Message-----<br>
From: Brian Vita &lt;brian_vita@cssinc.com&gt;<br>
To: Kevin Vahey &lt;kvahey@megsinet.net&gt;; Bill Dunn
&lt;ecps92@tiac.net&gt;; Bill<br>
O'Neill &lt;billo@erols.com&gt;; Boston Radio Interest<br>
&lt;boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org&gt;<br>
Date: Monday, August 16, 1999 23:00<br>
Subject: Re: Cellphone talk numbers<br>
&gt;*1 Doesn't work with Nextel.&nbsp; It does work with AT&amp;T
wireless.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;As a side note, I was talking to someone at Shadow Traffic and he
says that<br>
&gt;the Turnpike Authority doesn't provide them with squat.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;At 05:46 PM 8/16/99 -0400, Kevin Vahey wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt; Has anyone noticed, that BZ' doesn't use Call us on
your CellOne phone</blockquote>
&gt;&gt; &gt; *1030, they just say CellPhone.&nbsp; Doesn't work on a
BAM phone.<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&nbsp; The SmartRoutes *1 works with
Sprint&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; *1030 does not<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;If you have to call in something&nbsp; 617 588 3796 will do
the trick<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;I talked to Peter Casey about it, and he says the cell
companies don't<br>
want<br>
&gt;&gt;to assign the star numbers....<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;I do know in the case of *1, the Commonwealth picks up the
price of the<br>
call<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>