Re: More Western Mass radio

On 14 Aug 99,, Martin J. Waters wrote:

>         Another case of escalating signals. When WARE went on in 1948, it
> was 1 kW daytime only and WHAI was 250w, like all the Class IV/local
> channel stations (unless for some reason it had lower power). WARE very
> soon got some night power. I forget the exact history, but it wasn't very
> long before it had 1 kW at night from two towers, aimed due south. It
> stayed that way until at least the late 1970s. Somewhere along the way
> (very late '50s?), the Class IV stations were allowed to go to 1 kW day,
> staying 250 night. WARE now is 5 kw/2.5 kW, DA-2. Meanwhile, the FCC let
> virtually all the Class IVs go to 1 kW fulltime. WARE probably bothers
> WHAI less at night than in the day, as the night pattern remains bascially
> the same--to the south.

But wouldn't the FCC prevent one or both stations from increasing
power if it would interfere with the other?

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                              lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503               http://world.std.com/~lawyer/