Re: More Western Mass radio

In a message dated 8/14/99 2:46:54 PM EST, mwaters@mail.wesleyan.edu writes:

<<  WARE has no signal in Springfield or Worcester,
 really, that  a normal member of the public would listen to. And that's
 daytime. At night, forget it. The Spanish-speaking population in WARE's
 actual coverage area, based  on my traveling in recent years, is still
 pretty low. >>

When I was toiling out in Worcester ,  putting WNEB back on the air, I
noticed that WARE(1250)  DID come in pretty decently on the car radio in
downtown Wormtown.  Even with WNEB (1230) on air,  WARE still made it
through.   However , a car radio is always the BCS (best case scenario).
Peoplei n homes with cheap radios ussally never stumble across the WARE
signal in town.  But if one is looking for it, and turns his radio in
different directions, he'll get a good listenable signal.   Considering that
there is no Worcester-oriented commercial Spanish programming,  it might do
OK.  But as soon as a Worcester station DOES go Spanish, then its all over
for WARE.    Now there IS Spanish on WCUW-FM (btw 88 & 92 FM) , and I have
actually heard commercials!!!! on it).     Overall, it seems to me that Mega
buying WARE is a bad move.  Seems also that Mega was unable to buy any
Worcester signal.   I should have waited another 2 years to sell WNEB, now
noticing what Mega pays for stations!!!!    However, keeping the WNEB xmtr
site free from crime from local losers  for two more years would have made me
go nuts.  Rather be sane than rich.
- ----jibguy