Re: Linda Rondstadt

In a message dated 7/22/99 12:51:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
John_Bolduc@Pictel.com writes:

<< Why do I still have my 16 or so old Linda Ronstadt vinyl albums after I
have
 disposed of most of the rest of my collection of vinyl? >>

john,

   could it have something to do with short-shorts and roller skates?

   that's why i still have mine.  can't let go.

and re:  the tunes on wklb...
again, the premise at first with Boston's Country stations is that Boston
really did not have a highly listened-to Country station.  not to say that it
hasn't had country in the past, nor am i saying that the stations that have
come before have been of lesser quality.
but to reach a larger portion of a metro area that does not have a "broad
history" of country listenership, both WBCS and WCLB, when they signed on,
had a similar approach:
1) let's get 'em listenin' to the country/rock contemporary hybrids (wynonna,
garth, brooks & dunn, lee roy parnell), then, over a period of time,
2) remind them of other artists of whom they are aware that have the country
roots. (kenny rogers, ronnie milsap, terri gibbs, sylvia, linda
ronstadt,NGDB),   then,
3) we can work in the best of the earlier core artists (george&tammy, hank,
et al)

WKLB has been able to slowly wean in, based on testing (as everyone does
now.. 'nother subject for 'nother day, eh??), more of the 70's & 80's tunes
of late, as well as some 60's.   this would indicate a more wide spread
acceptance of country as a genre, here in the Country Music Capitol of The
World !!! (sorry, got carried away.. although my boyhoood home in North
Cambridge is now abutted by Rounder Records, and the older neighbors tell me
they enjoy talking to that "nice Reber McEntiyah" when she steps out between
takes and goes for a stroll..  she's apparently done some session work on
Cameron Ave/Fair Oaks St/Camp St.)

for what it's worth, Sunday Morning Country Oldies, 8am - Noon , with the
extremely versatile Michael Burns, does feature tunes from the past 40 years
and then some.
and it has really good numbers.  and they play Jerry Reed tunes (Son!)

chuck igo