Re: CBS gets it right this time

Donna Halper writes:
 But  WBZ radio had been on the story from the
> beginning, and this time channel 4 had called in their "big guns"
like Liz
> Walker and Joe Shortsleeve; and in fairness to WBZ radio, yes at
periods of
> time they did simulcast WBZ TV, but radio also got their own
reporters
> (Carl Steevens and Ed Donahue) onto the scene in addition to just
using
> audio from TV reporters...

Couldn't agree more, Donna.  WBZ's Joe Shortsleeve scored a big one
for WBZ (and himself, deservedly) when CBS took 4 live to the net when
he had the couple at the airport in W. Tisbury who had located the
suitcase in the water (a young atty. from Boston with his fiance).
Two articulate 'eye witnesses' (miss that monniker?)   About a minute
in he got word that they were national and cleanly restarted the
sequence (that was cool to witness how he pulled that off), asked the
right questions, even going for the "How'd it feel?" kicker and got
inside his target almost reaching paydirt.  But... it appears that he
was directed to (doh!) toss it back!  Predictably, upon his return, he
then was forced to physically guard his dwindling shot, only to have
other teams grabbing at his subjects from within his camera's eye.
The moment was gone.  Not sure if CBS still had him live by then, but
WHY?! <Nancy Kerrigan OFF> would the station take it back knowing that
the network was with them specifically for the reason that they had
something unique?  Perhaps to give the _anchors_ a toss to the bird?
Sure hope not.

As for the radio side, I also heard a phoner near noon from the new
10-mid talker, Paul Sullivan, assumably on the cape vacationing and
helping out with reax.

And I gotta hand it to WBZ TV veteran John Henning.  He knows more in
an afterthought than those smiling, goof-offs who were waiting for
airtime around him outside the Kennedy home in Hyannisport will ever
learn in broadcasting-and-nail-finishing-school (two for one price
until 12/31/99.  Call now.)  We were taken by the genuinely somber
affect of the reporter, but, nearby, within his shot, were some crew
members from other signals downing soft drinks, smiling, joking, just
another day in the field.  Not that it's understandably hot and tiring
there, and yes, it is the "job," but if you are in the industry,
particularly, you should realize what a camera shot is and your
potential place in it, if only for professional courtesy to your
colleagues if not for the pained family.  And yes, the ...viewer?

Score another for Dan Rather in his 6:30 CBS Evening News.  The raw,
gut, emotion within the anchor on this story was undeniable as he
eloquently spoke to the significance of the moment.  By the end of the
broadcast he seemed very drained, likely looking learily ahead to the
8ET 48 HRS. and wondering how he'd make it go.  Tamp 'em down n'
solid, I'd reckon.

Bill O'Neill