Re: Imus gives his version....

On the other hand, GM certainly does not have an
impressive track record with talkers. They had the best
AM signal in DC in WWRC 980 and they invested a bundle
improving the signal even further when they increased
the day power to 50 kW. But they bounced from one
formatic and ratings disaster to another, all within the
talk genre. And they flipped personalities about as
rapidly as most of us change shirts, which was probably
a big part of the problem. Finally, they sold the
station.

GM has some properties that print money (the best local
example is WMJX), but they also make a fair number of
mistakes. Besides WWRC, there is the famous episode in
GM's hometown of Philly, where they acquired classical
WFLN and flipped it to some popular format, only to see
the ratings drop by half and the demos change to a far
less affluent audience. GM has now flipped the station
again, after only about a year, and it remains to be
seen how much time it will take to get back to square
one as far as audience size is concerned. Moreover, I
doubt whether they will ever replicate the classical
demos.

Entercom has always had a reputation for putting the
bottom line at the top of their priorities. Clearly,
their approach to profits is inordinately short-sighted.
Imus claims that his program was directly or indirectly
responsible for $8 million of WEEI's annual billings. I
have no way of proving or disproving that statement. It
may be common enough for AM drive to account for 50% or
more of a station's billings, but that may not be the
case at WEEI, because the Red Sox and Celtics probably
account for a very big chunk of billings (and expenses).

Still, if Imus accounted for revenues that exceeded
three times the cost of acquiring his program, it would
not seem to make any sense whatever to let the contract
slip away. Assuming that Imus was responsible for
billings equal to three times his program's cost and
WEEI could pick up another program for _free_ (say by
bartering avails in _other_ dayparts), they'd have to
bill at least 2/3 as much to break even. Fat chance, and
that doesn't even account for the damage WBOS might do
at WRKO.