Re: Adieu, CBL (1937-1999)

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Kevin Vahey wrote:

> Now the CBC on both the Toronto and Montreal Radio One web sites say it was
> the CRTC that ordered them off the air, and that CBC did not do this on
> their own. It would seem to me that if the Canadian government was so hard
> pressed for cash, they would have allowed the CBC "a crown corporation" to
> sell them off, instead of just giving them up.

CBC was not "forced" off the air by the CRTC.  They applied for the FM
frequencies with the understanding that they had to return the AM stations
to the CRTC after six months of simulcansting.  The whole purpose of this
IS to move CBC service to FM entirely (where possible)

Do I think that replacing a 50,000 watt transmitter with 6 or 7 little FM
transmitters is a smart idea? No, considering thattransmitter and tower
maintenance costs and
electric and telephone (for studio to transmitter hookups) bills will
probably be higher than when it was a single transmitter.  But then again,
I've never accused any radio corporation (public or private) of being
particularly gifted in the
intelligence department

> Of course this is the same government body that thought that FM would be
> a better place for news and information, spawning the ill-fated CKO
> national news network in the late 70's.

FM all news/talk stations can do well on FM (provided they have strong
programming).  I don't think talk radio station listeners care whether
they are on FM or AM as long as they get a clear signal.