Adieu, CBL (1937-1999)

     I heard the end of CBL/740 last night and felt a sense of loss to the
radio industry.  CBL served Toronto and most of North America for over 62
years.  In amongst the cookie-cutter formats spread all across the dial, CBC
(CBL and CBM) provided a much needed change to the overly formulated news
and talk formats, so prevalent in this country.  Here in the Northeast, we
still have a chance to enjoy CBC programming on CBA (1070/Moncton, NB) for
the time being.  Dumping two of North America's most prominent Clear Channel
stations doesn't seem very wise to me.  From what I have gathered, it was
the bean-counters in Ottawa who said that nobody listens to AM anymore.
However, the engineering staff at CBC Toronto are still fielding calls from irate listeners who can't get CBC on FM, never mind the now late 740.

     "This transmitter has served the community well since 1937, and has
been at 740 AM since 1941.  This is an end of an era in Canadian broadcasting
history.  Now signing off from CBL.  Adieu."

     The plate voltage was removed at 2359:30 on 6/19/99.  Adieu, CBL.

- -Peter Q. George
 Whitman, Massachusetts

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)                 *  "Scanning the bands since 1967 !"
33 Stetson St., Apt. 2                  *                  +
Whitman, Massachusetts  02382           *                  |
USA                                     *      73         +|+    de N1GGP
PGEORGE@wellesley.edu                   *                 /|\
XERB@bigfoot.com                        *                 +|+
pqgeorge@hotmail.com                    *                 /|\