Re: 1957

At 04:16 PM 6/19/99 -0400, you wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, A. Joseph Ross wrote:
>
>> On 18 Jun 99,  Joseph Gallant wrote:
>
>> > (4)...and the year Harvard's WHRB graduated from carrier-current to FM
>> > (originally for a short time at 107.1 until interference with WBZ-FM
>> > forced WHRB down the dial to 95.3)?
>>
>> That I don't know.
>
>Yes, that happened in the spring of 1957. I used to know the exact date,
>but I've forgotten it.
>
>The carrier current WHRB stayed on until 1974.

Although it makes sense that a station radiating the equivalent of 20 kW at
500' from Needham (or maybe by '57 it was the equivalent of 50 kW) would
interfere with a little Class A in Cambridge only 400 kHz away, I think the
allocation was completely in accordance with the rules, or at least it was
in accordance with the rules that existed at the time. The explanation that
I read at the time had nothing to do with WBZ-FM. Rather, the move was
explained by the fact that 107.1 was almost at the 10th harmonic of FM
receivers' 10.7-MHz IF. Now, I've never heard anyone say that 96.3, which is
exactly at the ninth harmonic, is an undesirable frequency. Moreover, I
would think that the local oscillator was more likely to be rich in odd
harmonics than even ones. Still, that is the explanation that I heard. Can
you shed any light?

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205