Re: when you're hot, you're hot

A. Joseph Ross wrote:
>On 8 Jun 99,  Donna Halper wrote:
>> So for those not in Boston, it was 97 degrees here today, and according to
>> David Brudnoy, the air conditioning at WBZ was broken all day!  [...]
>
>When I was at WMUA, we had no air conditioning (though they do in the
>present studios).  We had large windows that we could open.  [...]

There is at least one Boston-area radio station that operates without
the benefit of air conditioning in the studios, and no windows either.
Yep, it's WMBR, MIT's radio station.  Walker Memorial, the building we
reside in, was built in 1917, and thus doesn't have central air.  Since
the station resides in the middle of the basement of said building, we
have no outside walls, and thus there's no way to vent an A/C short of
adding tens of thousands (probably closer to 100K) of dollars worth of
ductwork, and we don't have that kind of money to spare.

Ideally, the lack of direct sunlight should help keep the area a couple
of degrees cooler than the outside.  In reality, that doesn't amount to
much, particularly with the studio electronics (at least it's not tube
gear anymore...) and the humidity.

So I really don't want to hear about the folks at BZ complaining - we'll
gladly switch facilities with them anytime... :-)

- -Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu