Re: webcasting

On 5/27/99 4:43 PM, Dib9@aol.com (Dib9@aol.com) wrote:

> iMAC crowd?  A station has to appeal to more than Mac users to survive.
> iMAC may have been the best selling computer in April but that is a bogus
> figure when you consider that there is one iMAC competing with dozens of
> machines running the Microsoft Windows Operating System.  The last time I saw
> statistics, MACs were in single digits and dropping as a percentage of
> computer users.

There are many Macintosh users out here.  The iMac has only been out less
than a year.  I, for one, do not have a single byte of Microsoft software
on my system and never will.  Others may not be so extreme, but the
Macintosh percentage of existing running home computers is probably
around 20%.  Remember that Macs stick around a lot longer than their
Wintel counterparts.

> I'm not trying to start a debate about the merits of the different systems,
> but MAC is strictly a product for a niche market and some specialty users
> like publishing and schools were they have a significant market share.  (By
> the way, I don't understand why our schools would teach kids on a system
> that they are not likely to encounter in the work place.)

First, it's Macintosh or Mac, never MAC.

Second, I don't think anyone knows what type of computer today's children
are likely to encounter in the workplace.  You might as well teach them a
system that's easy to use.  And third, many use Macs in the workplace.  I
do.

In any case, it's shortsighted to put yourself on the Web using one
company's proprietary system.  Why not make your station available to
(nearly) all rather than just those who use Windows?

Paul