Re: AM radio: huh????

- ----------
> From: ADAMNW@aol.com
> To: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
> Subject: AM radio
> Date: Sunday, May 23, 1999 11:39 AM

> Some people don't listen to AM radio any longer, because you can only
find
> music on the FM dial. Many people aren't interested in News/Talk/Sports
so
> they stay on the FM dial. In addition, the sound quality on the FM dial
is
> better.

Adam:
The fact about 75% of the population went to FM was a major reason many
AMs dropped music for a talk/news/sports alternative.  I know many AMs who
would run some music but ASCAP/BMI fees are each as high as 1.7% of
a station's annual billing. That's close to 4%. If an AM is a marginal
business
success as it is, why go a hard road in the first place (trying to convince

people to listen to music on AM) & have to pay 4% of it's billing in music
fees.

As far as the sound quality on FM being better than AM...no offense..but
isn't
that kinda obvious???