Re: lesser known pop hits

Sometimes a song like "Martian Hop" will get played
on Doctor Demento. Other charting hits which you'd
probably only hear on the Doctor's show (or Lost 45s!)
would include "Timothy" by the Buoys or "Dead Skunk"
by Loudon Wainwright III. "Valley Girl" by Frank and
Moon Zappa comes to mind too--that did reach the
Top Forty. (Dr. Demento or possibly college radio
seem to be the only ones willing to air Zappa's music.)

- --- "A. Joseph Ross" <lawyer@world.std.com> wrote:

> When I did my airshift on WMUA a couple of weeks
> ago, one of the records I
> played was "Martian Hop" by the Ran-Dells.

> it never gets
> played on any of the oldies stations

> Then I got e-mail from Aaron Mintz

Small world--I've traded old-time radio tapes with
Aaron (and I'm the person who sends LTAR to "Tim from
Akron", as Bob Bittner mentioned on today's show).