Old-time police band (Was Re: MARTI)

>Shawn mamros wrote:
<snip>
 (Besides, didn't police radio start out using the standard AM band?
>That's what I thought I remembered reading in some history of radio or
>other...)
<snip>

        The original police radio band from when they first started using
two-way radios (at first, in many cases, one-way radios) seriously in the
'20s and '30s was up in the 1600s kHz--just above the AM band. In fact, it
may be that when the AM band was expanded to include 1510-1600 kHz, in the
mid '30s, that some police radio service was displaced to move further up.
        You see some antique radios from the '30s that are all set to
receive today's AM ex-band because they tune up to 1700, with the 1600-1700
section of the dial marked police. A neat package -- broadcast receiver and
police "scanner" of that era built into one.