Re: Market Research

I try to catch WODS's flashback countdowns on Thursday nights because you
will hear a song you may not have heard for twenty years. ( Little Ole Man
by Bill Cosby for example).....do you want to hear that every week, NO...but
every once in awhile..fine.

One song that is WAY overplayed is Brown Eye Girl by Van Morrison, that was
a so so hit in 1967 but not worthy of the airplay it gets 30 years later.

Then you have songs that are supposed to bring back warm fuzzy memories.
98.6 by Keith was never a hit in Boston yet we hear it over and over today.
98.6 was included in the POST record set of Classic Gold that WRKO was a
local partner, so that is how that was first played here. Gimme Some Lovin
by Spencer Davis was only a hit on WMEX, as WBZ played a verson by the
Jordon Brothers. (they also ran a cover of Winchester Cathedral by I believe
the New Happiness)...I would love to hear either of those versions again.

WJMK in Chicago maybe ( with the possible exception of WCBS-FM) does the
best job I have heard of doing oldies in a major market. Dick Biondi makes a
point every night of playing some of the obscure songs that were played for
a while and then lost. One problem we have here in Boston is there is no one
from the era left who could or would do it. Arnie Ginsburg hit megabucks
 along with John G) when he sold V-66, Bruce Bradley is somewhere in the
midwest, and the rest have moved on. It is a shame we don't have a Fred B.
Cole type who for years recaptured the 40's and 50's sounds.

For those of us who grew up in that era, we got our music from WBZ, WMEX,
WORC, WAAB, WPRO, WICE, WFEA, WKBR, WLOB and at night WABC, WLS, WCFL, WKBW
and WPTR.

Maybe someday, somebody will at least try.