Re: Stop the Narrow-casting

No, but the difference may be in the clarity (or lack thereof) of my
writing. :)

The difference is...

a) Most oldies stations don't seem to jock in the same style as existed
then. You don't hear a sound like Drake or its competitors on most 60s
stations, and the jocks on 70s stations don't seem much like 70s Top 40
jocks to me.

b) More importantly, the music on most oldies stations doesn't run across
the Top 40 gamut of the time. If it doesn't play "Hello Dolly" and
"Everybody Loves Somebody" at the same time as it plays Motown and the
Beatles, it's not mid-60s Top 40, it's "hits of the mid-60s that we like
and doesn't include stuff that isn't rock." Similarly, Top 40 in my teens
included "You Light Up My Life" in all its vomit-inducing splendor, "Ben,"
"Billy, Don't Be A Hero," the Osmonds, etc. etc., which is stuff I haven't
heard on many 70s-formatted stations lately. In short, it isn't the radio
of our childhood and teens.