Re: Stop the Narrow-casting

From: Peg <gunst56@flash.net>

>I thought the goal would be to get as MANY folks listening to your station
>rather than a narrow segment of a particular demographic!!!

Your forgetting the second part of the equation.....

To keep those listeners listening for as LONG as you can!
(And today that's more of the emphasis.)

WRKO had a 1.5 million cume at one time....and rotated (hot) songs every
2.25 hours....
I guess they never imagined people listening for 8 hours at a time during
the workday.
(Hearing "You light up my life" 4 times in one workday!  Ugh!)

Stations today have survived with smaller cumes....but much longer TSL's
(Time spent listening) than in days past.  (a 1/2 million cume nowadays is
considered good...and stations tout "no repeat workdays, etc.)

And today there are many more choices.  And people "button-push" much more
frequently now.
  We would put up with WRKO playing "Nadia's Theme".....cuz there weren't 17
other choices for us to fly to.  (There were probably 2-3 choices for us.)

Gone are the days of Seguing from the Carpenters "Close to You" to "Derek
and the Domino's"