Re: WKXL(AM + FM)

I, too, was surprised by the announcement from WKXL.  When I heard the
rumor Tuesday morning I was told the transaction will be filed with the
FCC on Thursday.  The principal in the buyer is a gentleman named
Nofziger about whom I know nothing; I didn't hear WKXL's on-air statement
and I don't know the sale price.

I am saddened that WKXL will slip from the hands of local owners.  It has
been one of the strongest bastians of localism since its inception in
1946.  It was March 1980 when previous owner Frank Estes retired, selling
the station to a group of employees that included longtime General
Manager Dick Osborne, salesmen Pat Chaloux & Don Shapiro, then-morning
man Jim Rivers, PD Gardner Hill, and announcers Don Dunklee and Dan
Colgan.  Without question, it has been a tough go at times, especially at
the beginning of this decade during the recession.  At one time WKXL FM
launched a seperate operation, but they have largely simulcast since
January 1991.

My understanding is that Dick Osborne will be out in 90 days; I don't
know about the rest of the staff.  I hope an appropriate way is found to
honor his contributions, in particular, to the Concord community.  Next
month will mark  his 33rd year at WKXL.  In addition to being an early
sparkplug in the careers of numerous young journalists (like ABC's Jackie
Judd and CBS's Barry Bagnato) Dick has continued a regular daily air
presence all these years, frequently picking up a cassette machine and
dashing to the Statehouse, or doing daily editorials.  He has served as a
New England rep to the NAB for more years than anyone can remember and
there were days when he held elective office (the Concord school board, I
think).  He has been the voice of UNH Wildcat sport for longer than most
of the players have been alive.

There will be plenty of speculation on how the Concord radio market will
reshape under new owners.  And it would be naive to blame it on
deregulation.  But it is a shame that true public servants have no place
in local radio anymore.  I prefer to credit Dick and his colleagues for
having kept the concept alive during a great 19-year run.

Ed Brouder
Man From Mars Productions
http://www.manfrommars.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]