Re: Requiem For An Eagle? (Was: Re: April Fool's Day)

When WEGQ's Hits of the 70s format came about, I
though it might be a temporary move, but it did well
in the ratings for awhile.

- --- Joseph Gallant <notquite@hotmail.com> wrote:
> (1) They were too much like WZLX, playing classic
> guitar-driven AOR.

And for awhile they were limited to only 70s music,
not 80s. So WZLX had more tunes to choose from.

> (2) Had they, in their earlier "All 70's" phase,
> played ALL the big
> top-40 hits from that decade,m I think they might've
> made it.

I think they were convinced that the folks who like
the harder-edged stuff would change the station
once they heard soft-rock, bubblegum, disco, or
other stuff..."save it for the Lost 45s or the
weekend disco show".

> Listeners aren't as dumb as the bean-counters in
> Dallas think.

> (3) They should have grabbed the call letters "WVBF"
> while they were
> available.

Or maybe "WRKO-FM"; heck, they could have brought
back the old 'RKO staffers to make it seem like
AM 680 from the 70s was now at 93.7 in the 90s.