Re: WMEX/WITS/WMRE

Well, the current owners, the allegedly moribund One-on-
One Sports Network, having spent $8.5 million to buy
WNRB about a year ago, must see some value in the
signal. As Mark Shneyder pointed out, they have applied
to make changes in the antenna system. I've just checked
out what the application consists of. It's not a big
deal, technically or cost-wise--or at least it's not
supposed to be. Unless the neighbors who live southwest
of the transmitter site descend en-masse on One-on-One
with complaints of interference that One-on-One will
have to address, the engineering and legal fees should
represent the biggest cost.

With the co-channel New London CT station gone, One-on-
One is proposing to significantly increase WNRB's
daytime signal to the southwest, making it the
equivalent of roughly 19 kW vs the current 500W. The new
day pattern, like the current one, will use the east and
south towers. The change will be accomplished by
reducing the percentage of power fed into the south
tower and slightly adjusting the phase. The signal to
the northeast will suffer slightly, but not so much that
anyone will notice. If the FCC is on its toes, the
station will be permitted to use the new pattern only
during non-critical hours (from two hours after local
sunrise to two hours before local sunset). This
restriction is necessary to protect the dominant station
on 1510, WLAC Nashville.

During the hours when the new pattern is in use,
coverage of MetroWest and areas southwest of Boston
should improve significantly. Provided that resolution
of interference complaints doesn't prove too costly, One-
on-One should get a good return on its investment--
especially if they sell the station.

As for 1510 being a good home for WILD, if you've got a
spare $10 to 12 million kicking around, and out of the
goodness of your heart, you were willing to just give it
to Mrs Nash, she might be able to arrange that. But in
the absence of a wealthy benefactor, the source of the
money is unclear.