Re: Birthday Games

- ---"J.J." <jj@tiac.net> wrote:
> 	Just curious, who do think will win the battle of the " Million
> Birthday Games" that both KISS and WBMX are currently running?  Isn't
> unprecedented in Boston radio history that two powerhouse radio
stations
> are running practically the exact same(by name only) promotion
> simultaneously?

The Herald's story on Tuesday smelled like an absolute
"plant" by Kiss people. I question the validity of so-called "splinter
group" within Film House, Nashville-based marketing firm which
came up with the Birthday Game 13 years ago. Film House owns the
copyrights and the licenses for the game. If WBMX was going to go
around Film House to run the Birthday Game, it would face some legal
hassles, I am sure. Somebody at Kiss, better get their facts straight
before going and crying to the press about what Mix is doing.
Also, what bothered me about the article that it referred to Kiss
as the "original" Birhday Game station which is not true and total BS.
The original Birthday Game station is 200 miles south of Boston :
The game first aired on Z100(WHTZ) in NYC in the fall of 1986
during Scott Shannon's morning show.

> I think when the dust settles,  WBMX will when this one. Just by
> the nature of the TV buy that they have going, and Matty's sometimes
> negative and sloppy execution of the contest on the air.

I agree with J.J. WBMX feels Kiss can be had and they're going for it.
Good radio war in the works....

The rivalry between KISS and Mix is definitely heating up.  I wouldn't
be
shocked to see Mix people rent a plane and fly a Mix ad overhead
during the  "Big One"(KISS Concert 20) at Great Woods, and
in distribute Mix T-shirts at upcoming Kiss events(that's what 'ZOU
did 9-10 years ago). In return, Kiss(Chancellor) will probably
try to put pressure on record labels and artists not to support
MixFest and other Mix events. Same old story but stakes are much higher
today than they were 10 years ago....

I think the big winner right now is the contest insurance company(I
think it's
SCA out of Dallas) which insured the Kiss and Mix million dollar
prizes...:)

- -Mark