Re: 105.7 WROR Palying the Hits of the 60's and 70's

JJ writes, re:  WROR:

>80's are gone.

In a related post, Mark Shneyder writes:

<<Is it my imagination or every second FM station in this market is now
featuring some variation of a babyboomer nostalgic format?
Even WBOS has moved closer to 'Classic Rock Lite' with its 70/80's
soft rock sound targeting mostly female baby boomers.>>

I've noticed that, as well.  I wonder, at the risk of giving the
consultants way too much credit, if the return to the 60s/70s (read:
"oldies" regardless of what it's labeled) is just as much a response to
the obvious dearth of good, new sounds coming out of the recording
studios.  I grapple with my somewhat forgiving musical interests, and
try to keep an open mind about what is considered "new."  It's not that
the new products are "offensive" or "difficult" (the typical reasons 35+
types shy away from a sound) but that it feels uninspired, lacking legs
to take them into the future "oldies" catagories!  It's almost as though
the record companies (if they are still called that) are woefully low on
both inventory as well as a new niche identity to propagate.  Teacher
friends of mine who teach the coveted teen demo remark at the relative
diversity of musical interests of their students (Churban, AAA, classic
rock.) (Not that there's anything wrong with that.... to borrow from
Seinfeld).

But, if I hear B. Joel's "Piano Man" ONE more time, stoke up the wood
chipper, Mr. Landegaard.....

Bill O'Neill