Re: Worcester Format Holes

SteveOrdinetz wrote:

> Or even a pop-leaning CHR.  Worcester is kind of fringe for either Kiss-108
> or WPRO.  What about oldies?  Is there an oldies station in that market?  I
> know WORC-AM did oldies a few years ago (without much success, but by the
> early 90s music on AM was pretty much dead).

I think a pop-leaning CHR would have a tough time of it in Worcester. WXLO plays
a lot of the major CHR acts that cross to hot/modern AC, like Third Eye Blind,
Matchbox 20, Jewel, Barenaked Ladies, etc.  A new station would most likely pop
up on a class A stick, and XLO would cream the start-up as far as signal
coverage.  I think a CHR would have to be somewhat rhythmic, and play some of
the mass appeal artists not heard locally, like Brandy, Monica, Will Smith, and
Divine to find a niche between WJMN and WXLO.

As far as oldies go, WORC-FM, formerly WXXW, was oldies up till late last year,
when the new owners there flipped it to classic rock.  Both WODS and WROR get
into Worcester county pretty well, plus North County has 96.5 in Manchester, and
South County can pick up either WWBB or WDRC-FM.  WESO-Southbridge, albeit on
AM,  has flipped to satellite oldies recently.

Mike Thomas
WXLO & Premiere Radio Networks