Re: Tacky Awards ( February 1998)

On 17 Feb 99,  Bob Nelson wrote:

> I thought that a song parody that's available for sale had to be
> approved by the original copyright holders (at least it may have
> required this before
> the Supreme Court decision on parodies)...while something merely
> played on the radio (but not for sale) didn't have to be.

There are some special rules regarding copyrighted music, involving
compulsory licensing, but it's complicated and I'd have to look it up to
be familiar with the details.  I think maybe you don't need permission to
sing a song, but you have to pay royalties to ASCAP, BMI, or whoever
for it.  And if you sing the song with different words, I suppose it
works the same.

 A.Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/