Re: underwriting

In a message dated 2/16/99 6:35:41 PM Central Standard Time, EricNH@webtv.net
writes:

<< At least it
 would eliminate the semi-annual "beg-a-thon". As federal funding gets
 tighter, the $$ need to come from somewhere. Comments? >>

Eric,

It would never eliminate the begathons and the stations aren't really
interested in becoming commercial. This idea was a hot topic 20+ years ago
when I was working at WENH in Durham. I thought it was a great idea, but the
GM at the station, Art Singer, was vehemently opposed to it. He told me that
there was absolutely no way the station could possibly bring in the same
revenue as the amount that was received from the state and feds. They love
that free cash.
If the stations even seemed become commercial it would be an excuse for the
govt to completely drop assistance.

My two cents.

Mike