Re: underwriting

At 07:33 PM 2/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Driving home tonight listening to NH public radio, it suddenly hit me
>that in the "underwriting credits" there were phone numbers. I -thought-
>that was a "call to action" and a big no-no. Or is there a subtle
>difference between "joe's pizza in Manchester,offering subs and pizza,
>555-1212" and "joe's pizza in Manchester offering subs and pizza. CALL
>555-1212"?
>I'm sure that NPR knows what it's doing,at least in that department.

Please clarify.  Did you hear this announcement as part of an NPR or PRI
program, or as a local NHPR announcement during a station break or a local
NHPR program?  I ask this to point out that public radio cannot be
considered as a single entity, NHPR and NPR and PRI and CPB are all
separate entities with separate funding.  To just say that something you
heard on NHPR is the same as it being on NPR is much the same as saying
that a commercial that you saw during the local news on Channel 7 somehow
came from NBC.

Not that this answers the question you were asking!

Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH