Re: Expanded Band questions

At 08:22 AM 2/15/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Does anyone here know when WTRY is scheduled to move from 980 to 1640,
>and will that come with a format change, with a break from the simulcast
>of 98.3?

As far as I know, WTRY is one of the few stations that received an X-band
allocation but has not applied for the allocated facilities. Like WSVA, the
AM 550 in Harrisonburg VA, which also received an ex-band allocation, nobody
can quite figure out why WTRY applied for ex-band (unless they were assured
that they would be allowed to operate both signals in perpetuity--not for
just five years). About the only plausible reason is that the stations got
tired of doing periodic proofs on their DAs. But WTRY's DA has never been
troublesome as far as I know. The big loser from WTRY's staying put is WCAP.
Were WTRY to move to ex-band and CBV to move to FM, 980 would be pretty much
free of interference at night and WCAP would have good nighttime coverage of
the Boston market.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205