The new...

Mr. Ross wrote in part:
>The lack of courtesy titles can also cause confusion.  Such as a story
>I once read where Kitty Dukakis was referred to as "Dukakis," and I
wasn't quite sure whether they were referring to her or her husband.<
- -------
True.  But the U.S. Navy took care of a similar problem in a printed
news story about life aboard one of the nuclear aircraft carriers.
There were the "sailors" and then there were the "seawomen."

Pronouncing in the News:

Can someone backup my memory regarding a pronouncing guide that was
apparently put out by CBS back in the 1960s?  At Emerson, one of the
instructors brought up the subject during a debate on pronouncing
"Moscow."

His contention was the acceptable usage of Moscow was Mos-coe, instead
of 'cow' - I wonder if the "CBS Guide" is stilll a valid thing - or is
it out the window with a lot of other vintage concepts and
broadcasting beliefs.

Good to be back...much time on an another Maine history project.

Bob Jackson
- ---