Re: NorthEast Radio Watch 2/12: Cox/Clear Channel Swap in Salt City

Speaking of pirates, does the FCC move to shut down
a pirate if and only if they get a complaint about
them? I was wondering, because a pirate in a densely
populated area like Boston (such as Radio Free
Allston) got shut down, while a pirate in a more
sparsely populated area has yet to be shut down--
probably because no complaints were received (for
example, Radio Free Vermont in Rutland).

So, does it take a complaint to shut down a pirate,
or does the FCC act to silence them on their own,
without a complaint?

- ---Scott D Fybush <fybush@world.std.com> wrote:

> We hear the FCC has been conducting surprise >inspections at several
Eastern Massachusetts stations >to make sure the EAS equipment is
hooked up and >working.  Maybe while they're at it, they'll hear the
> Spanish-language pirate we're told is now operating on 94.3 in
Springfield.